I am pretty sure somebody provided an example project that showed memory
increase in Maven 3.2.x some time last year iirc. Could have been direct
email, not 100% sure. From what I remember, the problem was triggered by
specific way to reference parent pom, this is why only few projects are
affected. Our performance regression test suite caught the problem too,
but we never had time/resources to fix it.

Again, going by memory, there are several problems, each of which
increases memory footprint, so the solution likely requires multiple
changes in different parts of the core. Deduplication of inherited model
elements, things like <dependency>, is the likely best long term
solution, but it is also the most involved and will likely require
changes to modello and the way models and constructed and used.

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40maven.apache.org/msg102715.html

Igor