Am 04/15/16 um 22:34 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> In MNG-6003 [1], I propose to throw away all of this code and solely
> rely on the dev's input. If he/she it not able to set it properly,
> he/she shouldn't write code at all. Most of the time, on Unix/Linux,
> this isn't even necessary because a JDK is installed by default.

+1

I would go even further. Just error out if JAVA_HOME is not defined. In
my opinion discovery of the 'java' launcher to use based on `which java`
should also go away. Just make the scripts require JAVA_HOME to be
defined and not try to discover anything automatically. On my machine I
have

/usr/local/jdk-1.7.0
/usr/local/jre-1.7.0
/usr/local/jdk-1.8.0
/usr/local/jre-1.8.0

The PATH contains /usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin. The JRE directories have the
java jurisdiction policy files installed. The JDK directories do not.
The JDK keystores contain certificates the JRE directories do not
contain etc. With my setup, `which java` points to a JRE launcher, not a
JDK launcher. JAVA_HOME always points to a JDK. So `which java` is
useless here and somehow error prone if I screw up JAVA_HOME.