Am 2016-07-28 um 18:24 schrieb Christian Schulte:
Am 07/28/16 um 18:21 schrieb Christian Schulte:
Am 07/28/16 um 17:37 schrieb Andreas Sewe:
Jason van Zyl wrote:
It’s all Maven specific, it’s always been Maven specific and that’s
unlikely to change after how many years? Even if it can employ
different strategies it’s still the Maven Artifact Resolution API. No
one is going to use this API to resolve from NuGet, NPMJS, PyPi or
anything else. Let’s just make it better for our specific use cases
instead of imagining this is going to be a general purpose tool. It
is clear that this never happened and probably never will.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that there is both Maven (the
tool) and the Maven repository format (the combination of directory
structure, maven-metadata.xml, checksums files, etc.).

The API we are talking about is for the Maven repository format and not
some other repository format (like p2, NuGet, ...). It may be used by
Maven *and* other tools (like Gradle, sbt, ...). In that sense, it is
*not* specific to the Maven tool, but it is specific to the Maven
repository format. Hence, calling it something with Maven in the name
makes sense to me.

+1

FWIW, we (the Eclipse Code Recommenders project) have been using (first
Sonatype, then Eclipse) Aether since ~2010 to download recommendation
models stored in a repository which does follow the Maven repository
format, but which does not store your typical artifacts (JARs with
pom.xml). If that use case is still supported by the new API, I really
don't care how the API is called. ;-)

+1

It's an abstraction to access Maven(-format) repositories in a
consistent way. Project name could be "Maven Repositories" and the
artifacts could be

maven-repositories-api
maven-repositories-impl
maven-repositories-utilities
etc.

No need to add "API" to the project name. It's more than that. In the
end, it's just a name. We should avoid what was done in the past and try
to use a self-describing name. We had to tell people what "Aether"
stands for every now and then. This should be avoided.

Regards,

Group-Id: org.apache.maven.shared.repositories
Artifact-Id: maven-repositories-api, maven-repositories-impl, etc.

I do even think that the 'shared' is not necessary, since this is going to be a standalone component with several artifacts. It deserves to be Maven Repositories and MREPOSITORIES in JIRA.