Am 12/22/16 um 19:14 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> -0.9 for the commandline option, there should be only one truth.

+1

> Dependency management is way too important, you should not have an option
> to choose. Better to agree that we are indeed fixing a bug or that we
> should maintain the current behavior. And that'll take time. I will have a
> look at all the related issues which could be controlled by this flag and
> find a way to get feedback from more people.

-1 for maintaining the current behavior. Issues will get reported over
and over again. It's just not correct. Updating the documentation would
mean we would add phrases like "this is how things should behave but
they don't due to bugs we cannot fix". Personally, something like this
would make me look for alternatives immediately.

> I have a different proposal: suppose we could "autocorrect" the pom.xml
> during distribution. I'm especially looking into MNG-5971. What happens if
> the include-scope is used, but is being replaced with all the actual
> included dependencies? Most important: do we get the expected behavior.
> The advantage of this is that you can use a new scope in your pom.xml, but
> in the repositories you will only see well-known scopes.
> We should also have a look at the flatten-maven-plugin. Some parts are
> quite interesting

Would not work when ranges are used in the dependency management. This
is <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-4463>. That has been fixed
for 3.4. There currently is no Maven release supporting that. The
imported dependencies still could use ranges. Simply provide that
include scope. The import scope got introduced in a patch release 2.0.6.
Adding that include scope in a feature release should be fine. Older
Maven versions will just handle that like runtime scope and will just
"ignore" those dependencies that way due to the POM type.

> This would be the first time where the projects pom wouldn't have to be
> the same as the installed or deployed pom. I would like to work on that,
> but for 3.5.x

There are some issues in JIRA containing patches for Maven 2.0.x where
something like this has been tested. There were multiple issues with
this like how to do interpolation. Not that easy. If I remember
correctly, there were issues making this impossible back then.