There's no experience with this yet.

Stephen Colebourne has written to related blogs: module naming[1] and modules are not artifacts[2]
which might suggest that "api" should not be added.
I do understand the addition of "api". And to make it worse, this is probably the most important artifact needing a module name. In most cases developers will only need this one: frameworks will handle the implementation part. :)

Robert

[1] http://blog.joda.org/2017/04/java-se-9-jpms-module-naming.html
[2] http://blog.joda.org/2017/04/java-se-9-jpms-modules-are-not-artifacts.html