So extensions for WorkspaceReader can't be used like described here[1]
inside the pom.xml?
Does that mean I have to put my extension in the maven classpath to
make it work?

If I do tis, is it still possible to configure the Extension inside
the pom or has it to be done by system-properties?

[1]https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-using-extensions.html