Hi Enrico,

On 22/07/18 13:30, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
Hi Karl,
Awesome work

Thanks ...

Maybe I am saying something already known, but I think this recap can be useful.

I see a lot of Apache projects working with this workflow which is very efficient, even for self service work:
- have a Jira/github issue
- create a github pull request, github will help reviews just by squashing all commits in an unified view
- have automatic QA tests run against the PR with Jenkins/Travis/...
- once all lights are green (reviews, CI/QA...)..
- use a magic script which:
* checks out the branch
* do a squash commit
* create a meaningful comment
* preserve original author
* add list of reviewers
* verifies that QA is okay
* push to main repo
* optionally cherry pick the commit to other branches
* close the related jira/github issue

As a committer I don't want to go via a PR via GitHub cause we have a ASF infrastructure....apart from that if I commit a change on a branch a mail will be send via

comm...@maven.apache.org [1]

and if I correctly informed all of the committers are subscribed..

So in the end this is a kind of review...and be sure that If I commit something stupid/not good at least on of the committers will pay attention to it and tell me about it...

That's why it is so important to work on branches first ...

Nevertheless I'm thinking about the above to get that easier for real PR's against maven project...Other projects already have activated automatic builds triggered by GitHub request...I need to talk to INFRA team about that....cause we are a little bit larger...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

[1]: https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-commits/

There are a few Apache projects which use this kind of magic script, I know Kafka, Flink, Bookkeeper...

I have backported Bookkeeper (which started as a copy from Flink if I remember correctly) one to a bunch of other projects and it works as a charm.

https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/blob/master/dev/bk-merge-pr.py

I will take a look at this...

My 2 cents
Cheers