others have talked about mvnDebug, i prefer using a profile e.g.
debug, then all the surefire and failsafe and exec-maven-plugin, plus
other plugins are all configured to use ${DEBUG_ARGS}, then;

$ mvn -Pdebug test
$ mvn -Pdebug exec:java

Then in intellij/eclipse/netbeans I can just connect a remote debugger
to the code. For some situations you want it to pause the execute
until your debugger is connected otherwise you might miss breakpoints
if those test are executed 1st.

I've also switched to maven wrapper so don't have mvnDebug anymore as
it means developers don't need to keep their local machines in sync
and just do mvnw and it will sort out the maven version that
project/branch requires.