simon,
been using maven since 2005 so 1.x something, so might be better way
as often i discover features added several releases ago that i simply
missed to kept using the old approach as it works and isn't broken.
Something like;
<project>
<profiles>
  <profile>
    <id>debug</id>
    <properties>
    <project.debug.port>5005</project.debug.port>

<project.debug.args>-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=${project.debug.port}</project.debug.args>
    </properties>
  </profile>
</profiles>
<properties>
  <argLine>${project.debug.args}</argLine>
</properties>
</project>

then "mvn -Pdebug test" and surefire uses the argLine user property.
then if you want to change the port "mvn -Pdebug
-Dproject.debug.port=8000 test". the important part is suspend=y.

Reading the latest
https://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-surefire-plugin/examples/debugging.html,
then "mvn -Dmaven.surefire.debug test" should setup a debug port on
5005 but i've only just seen that in the latest documentation but i've
probably not looked at surefire documentation for debugging for maybe
6+ years.

John