we talk about the maven-release-plugin, but I think that we should also talk
about the release profile = the way we extend the goals run during a non-
release build with a few additional goals on a release build

see for example the "apache-release" profile documentation of ASF parent
https://maven.apache.org/pom/asf/

By adding a new lifecycle, you would loose the sharing of most steps between
non-release and release builds

Like Karl Heinz, I really don't get the pain points you're trying to solve

Regards

Hervé