+1, the risk is more or less 0 since we can still use branches for
potential fixes for "old" projects using frozen java and maven versions
anyway

Guess we can even be very precautionous doing 1. an upgrade to bytecode
version without any code change (to change the major version in bytecode),
2. a M1 to let users test it if some still doubt.