Hi Enrico,

that would mean a lot of incompatibilities which I wanted to avoid.
If the checkstyle jar is updated first (8.xx), maven users wouldn't be able
to use a current version for quite a while, because the Maven plugin would
throw NoSuchMethodExceptions. I wanted to avoid this.

On the other hand, if the Maven plugin gets updated and released first,
there is more time for users to migrate to a more recent maven plugin.
Hence my PR.

I really do not see the benefit of updating the checkstyle jar first and
this having a period of time where Maven users cannot use a recent version
of checkstyle at all.

Maybe I did express the issue with checkstyle 8.24 in a wrong way. Users
can already use it if they rewrite their checkstyle.xml. it's just that the
maven plugin should not update the default checkstyle version to not break
any default setups and force users to rewrite their checks.