Some pro's and cons:

There have always been concerns about SLF4J, especially because it is
maintained by only one person.
Although Ceki did help us to make Maven work well with SLF4J, it still is a
risk.
Depending on third party libraries always comes with a risk.
Having our own logging interfaces (I don't consider plexus as a third party
library, as it is maintained by Maven developers) means could switch to another
framework at any time.
That said, we might even switch to the Java Logging Framework, as available
since Java 1.4

On the other hand, SLF4J has become the leading standard, so even in the worst
case scenario I expect there will a way to keep using the current SLF4J API.

One of the benefits of dropping Plexus Logging is getting rid of the
AbstractLogEnabled and LogEnabled classes, which bind the components very
strict to the Plexus logging framework.

thanks,
Robert