Am 2020-05-31 um 18:46 schrieb Maarten Mulders:
Hi,

It's great to see support for more secure hashing algorithms coming.

At the risk of suggesting something that is already there, or is just not feasible... Wouldn't it be possible to have a smoother transition by allowing multiple hashes at the same time?

When resolving, if there is a SHA-2 hash we use that for validation. Otherwise, we use SHA-1 or MD5. We might log a warning about the fact that a deprecated hashing algorithm is used. That way, repo managers wouldn't necessarily need to re-hash all their content. On the other hand, it might slow down the adoption of SHA-2 for content hashing.

We already have multiple hashes in parallel and Resolver will traverse until no hash is found or the first one has failed.