As will all things Maven and Central, we must consider the long tail
of versions in use. It's not going to work to flip a switch and fork
the community over updated hashes. Instead the role of Maven here
should be first to enable the new hashes but it shouldn't blow up if a
given upstream tool can't consume or produce the new hashes.

We were planning on doing some full system walks and validations on
Central in the near future for different reasons, I'll see if it's
possible to generate new hashes at the same time. I would only want to
publish updated sha2 hashes if the original sha1 hash was proper, I
don't think burying the broken hash is a good idea without subsequent
investigation.