Hi,
Regarding CI of javadoc and site on PRs, I personally prefer to have
failures as early as possible rather than during a last manual minute check
before a release.
Personal opinion again, I prefer to have this automated rather than manual.
especially for javadoc which can have different results depending on jdk
level and jdk distribution.
If you don't want to have this as automatic you can probably change the
goals used for some projects you're working on (if others agree) but I
agree we probably do not need all possible combinations of os/maven
versions/jdks.
Long story short regarding Jenkins.
A few weeks ago, there were some security issues reported by ASF Infra on
the home made plugin [1] used by our jenkins jobs. (sorry but I don't like
to report in public what could be potential security issues)
And furthermore some scalability issues (too many requests to gitbox [2]
which were overloading the gitbox servers and preventing other Apache
projects to work correctly.
Infra asked me to help fix that so I volunteer in my spare time to help fix
those issues.
As this home made plugin is not maintained anymore and nobody really wants
to maintain it, it was a better option to use the out of the box github
integration provided by the Jenkins community.
It turns out using it automatically adds checks on github. (I'm sorry but
this is something I didn't know or haven't figured out as a side effect).
As the setup of this is really new, it might need some extra configurations
(sorry as it's on my spare time I can miss some requests because of lack of
spare time) and some configuration have been changed (such name which could
have generated some wrong links)
If I look at your PR here [3], I can see the 2 first checks from Jenkins
are some wrong links (sorry for this but I need to investigate as I don't
know the cause of this) other than that the other links are related to a
test failure. Please explain if this is a false failure because of some
wrong setup or some issues on the node used for this build. I will be happy
to assist and report to ASF infra if needed.
It was interesting to test some parallel tools and I was even happy to help
participate in adding some tooling for gh especially because it's easier to
have very large combinations of os/jdk/ for plugins such as
compiler/javadoc which really needs to be tested on the biggest matrix
possible.
But I'm not sure we decided to remove Jenkins, personally I tend to prefer
using Jenkins as it has a better UI for looking at reports (finding the
stack trace related to a test failure is just so much easier) and more
generally I prefer using open source as much as possible.

cheers
Olivier

[1] https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-jenkins/
[2] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf