Nothing strong against, just noting that 2.x does not plan anything
requiring to upgrade (1.9.x is fine for the planned changes) so I'd say
your 3 can be the 2 and hopefully we can move to a more reactive version
(would enable to not set up aether with 128 threads or alike on CI but just
4 and still be faster to download when server supports it) - guess we don't
aim at supporting java 21 soon enough to skip it.

So my wishlist would be:

* 1.9.x while we dont change things much
* 2.0.x package relocation and hopefully reactive contract instead of
synchronous impl

That said more a wish than anything else since "it works" like that too, it
is just botherwise in some cases (like when populating a repo from scratch).

Romain Manni-Bucau