To add some more information, I have seen some extreme reduction in
build times after switching from Java 11 to 17 or even 21 (just for
build, not the runtime).
We can still verify it runs on 11/17 by using the integration tests,
but having the (possibly parallel) unit- and integration tests
compile, run and package on 21 is an *extreme* improvement in build
time.

As always, YMMV. But why waste time...

Since with Semeru and Temurin all major vendors have published their
JDK21 at last,
I see no reason to use a lower Java version to build maven with.
It is easily available for everyone who wants to contribute.

If I read the thread correctly, there were no objections to raising
the build time requirements.

It will also remove a lot of unneeded profiles (Java 8 Javadoc fix,
possibly build chains and module-info profiles),
in case any of those are present.

- Ben