Le lun. 22 janv. 2024 à 13:34, Benjamin Marwell <bmarw...@apache.org> a
écrit :

> To add some more information, I have seen some extreme reduction in
> build times after switching from Java 11 to 17 or even 21 (just for
> build, not the runtime).
> We can still verify it runs on 11/17 by using the integration tests,
> but having the (possibly parallel) unit- and integration tests
> compile, run and package on 21 is an *extreme* improvement in build
> time.
>
> As always, YMMV. But why waste time...
>
> Since with Semeru and Temurin all major vendors have published their
> JDK21 at last,
> I see no reason to use a lower Java version to build maven with.
> It is easily available for everyone who wants to contribute.
>
> If I read the thread correctly, there were no objections to raising
> the build time requirements.
>
> It will also remove a lot of unneeded profiles (Java 8 Javadoc fix,
> possibly build chains and module-info profiles),
> in case any of those are present.

Not sure since you will replace it by the same amount (more actually) of
toolchain setups so guess the only real point (some of the perf enhancement
are backported by some vendors so not justified alone) is to enable more
things at build time, rest will not change much from my window (but it is
already a step forward, just wanted to highlight we complexify elsewhere
simplifying there).