> Security issues. LTS support is a thing, and not just for JDKs.
Customers really, really want versions of tools and libraries they
don't have to upgrade, but that are supported when something does come
up. And when a security issue does come up, they want a drop in
replacement that fixes that one bug **and nothing else**. They want a
patch on the old release, not a new release that deprecates 32 methods
and classes, changes the behavior of 5 other methods, and requires
them to recompile their code and update seven other dependencies.
Customers hate being pushed into new versions when they're not ready
to migrate or don't see any personal benefit from  the "improvements".

I see a major contradiction here (as pointed by Tamás Cservenák). These
projects will for sure continue to use their 3.x version and will never
switch to the 4.x branch.