> So it IS about us, the volunteers.
> Is not about THEM, downstream users.

Not for me, for me and anything ASF is 100% about users and 0% about doers.
Anything not aligned on that should stay a personal github project for me.

> if they are stuck (due whatever policy or who knows what), they can just
> stay with 3.9, 3.8 or whatever suits them.
> Why align with the "stuck" ones?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should stick to java 8 but we should
embrace our users and ensure they can embrace what we deliver.
If you release maven 4 in 2025 and nobody can use it except a few then it
will stay a niche project compared to today where it is the main java build
tool.
Add the fact you will need ~2 years for maven 4 to be usable by people,
then you just killed the project and its community IMHO.

This is why I think we should stick to something in between, use not
something outdated - as we all saw, java 21 warns about java 8 - but not
the ultimate latest.
That where my LTS-1 comes - but not today it means Java 21 with the
projection we can do of a final release.

If your point was about the "then" the reasoning is similar.
See how alpha and beta are just dead releases except for people able to
build a snapshot, if you release something with a too high minimum java
version, it will be the same.

Keep in mind a tool to be adapted must work, be efficient etc...but should
also respect the 5mn setup.
For a java person assuming you have a correct java is ok and then it must
stay curl $maven && unzip && bin/mvn, please never any toolchain nor more
advanced setup.
It works theorically but there is likely no way people adopt it IMHO.

Also please just consider the polls - even if they are all biased, the
figures are significative enough - about java usage,
https://www.azul.com/wp-content/uploads/final-2023-state-of-java-report.pdf
for example. 2 LTS is generally always covering most people and hopefully
it will go a bit faster in some years but as of today you really need 2 LTS
if you want to be mainstream. Even JakartaEE just pushed back from 21 to 17
as a requirement due to the pressure from the community....and at ASF we
don't really care about code at the end ;).

Romain Manni-Bucau