Hey,

I see benefit in upgrading to PMD 7, users have to adjust their rulesets
from time to time anyway. I had to upgrade the on from my team when
trying (and failing ^^) to upgrade vom maven-pmd-plugin sub 2.14 to 2.21
too due changed/deprecated rules.

>The question is now: Should the next version of m-pmd-p be called
3.22.0 or 4.0.0?

There was a discussion the list that maven plugins should start with a 4
when they are upgraded to the Maven 4 plugin API (I hope the wording is
correctly). So if this is not the case (and "only" the PMD version") is
listed I would argue to not call it 4.0.0 but 3.3.1 (to show the bump of
PMD via minor version).

Greetings

Matthias