Am 2024-04-05 um 21:42 schrieb Andreas Dangel:
Hi all,

I'd like to hear your opinions about [1] / [2]:

Adding support for PMD 7, which is a major version upgrade from PMD 6.55.0, might impact end-users under certain conditions: If they use custom rulesets and use a rule, which no longer exists or has been replaced, they need to update their rulesets so that it will be working with PMD 7. Or if they have written custom rules.

Using PMD 7 however, enables support for Java 21. Upgrading PMD in m-pm-p would bring this to all users. While m-pmd-p itself didn't change much (e.g. the maven configs are still valid), the underlying PMD of course did (and therefore any custom rulesets might need to be updated).

This fact, that there might be changes needed when upgrading, will be added on the plugin documentation page [3] under "Upgrading notes" (part of PR 144).

The question is now: Should the next version of m-pmd-p be called 3.22.0 or 4.0.0?

Looking that the PR (which I reviewed) I consider 3.22.0 as totally fine. All necessary information has been provided to the user.

Michael