A few things. First I ask you all to bare with me because I'm not an experienced
maven person but...

I think it would be really cool if at first maven could have the ability to:

a) Automagically download and install Terracotta like it does with everything else
b) Know how and when to build a boot jar
c) Know how to put the proper command line stuff in for running tests/ apps with terracotta etc

Just that would be really neat in my book.

On the other side of things. What we would like to do on the maven front for building our stuff would be to have a parallel (this wasn't my idea it was jason's but I think it is a good idea so I'm repeating it) build system that we can mature until it has every thing we need to take over for our custom system. This allows the timeline to be less of an
issue.

I also think it would be really cool to cluster parts of maven at some point. Just doing coordination and sharing poms might be a fun start. The first thing we wrote in Terracotta dso was a distributed testing
framework for Terracotta dso in Terracotta dso.

We, of course, are not in the business of writing testing frameworks and build systems which is why we like the idea of moving to maven. We do it because it is necessary. I might be able to convince the powers that be to turn that distributed testing framework over to the community under a more permissive license at some point if interest exists in moving it to a level that is more productized.

Anyway, this is all very interesting.

Cheers,
Steve

--------

Hi all,
It's great to see such fast response so far, even on a weekend.  Please
continue to write to this thread if you're interested in such a plugin or
want to help develop it.

Eric -- I definitely see where you're coming from and understand completely with regards to Terracotta being a platform vs. a module. I was thinking more along the lines of having a plugin that would bind to a build lifecycle
phase (such as the install or deploy phase) and perform the bytecode
enhancement at that point. But as Eugene mentioned, that probably wouldn't
work so well for doing anything other than testing the bytecode-enhanced
code during the test phase of the Maven build cycle.  However, it would
certainly be a start to try that out. :-) Would that seem like a reasonable goal for now (write a surefire-terracotta / terracotta-surefire plugin?), or
do you think it would it be best to wait until Terracotta is Mavenized?

As far as rewriting/Mavenizing Terracotta's build system goes, it would
definitely be helpful for folks who would be interested in adding to
Terracotta's codebase to get up to speed quickly. Any ideas on what kind of timeline you're looking at? You could start out with a multi-pom project
with nonstanard directories to get things going and then refactor to a
multi-pom project with standard directory structures once you feel
confident. I've done the first half of what I mentioned to demo Maven 2 on an established codebase and it worked really well. Let me know and I'd be
happy to try and help with the effort.

Thanks,
Jim