Hi,

I'm working on XML encoding support for Maven 2.0.8: did you know? ;)

Everything is ready for Maven itself: IT mng-2254-PomEncoding passes.

Now I'm looking at plugins, and I just found one important issue: there are 4
core plugins reading and writing POM files - install, deploy, release and
repository (if you know other ones, please let me know). Then these plugins
need to be updated and released with Maven, or there will be some big
problems if somebody adds non-ascii characters in his POMs: either the
plugins will fail, or even worse, written POM files will be broken, in local
repository with install plugin, remote repository with deploy plugin, SCM
with release plugin, or a bundle with repository plugin.

To improve these plugins with full XML encoding support, there is some
(simple) code, but more importantly there is a need for XML encoding classes
from plexus-utils 1.4.5.

I could think of 3 ways of doing it:
1. go forward and change plexus-utils dependency version: difficulties to do
so for release plugin taken apart, the big consequence will be that the
prerequisite for the plugins would be Maven 2.0.6 (see MNG-2892)
2. be lazy and copy the 4 necessary classes in the 4 plugins, and let the
plugins continue working with older Maven versions
3. workaround the copy laziness and create a (temporary) component containing
only the 4 classes needed (not necessary in org.codehaus.plexus.utils package
tp avoid later conflicts when plexus-utils evolves) and add this dependency
to the plugins

Each solution has his advantages and drawbacks. Which one should be preferred?

WDYT?

Hervé