Maybe this won't strike you as strange but it did me. I ran a mvn install on a project using 2.0.9. In the course of that maven-project-2.0, maven-project-2.0.6, maven-2.0.7, and maven-project-2.0.9 were downloaded, installed into the local repo and then used in the build. As you would expect this is due to the use of the various plugins used during the build. Knowing what I know about maven I understand why this us. But the question remains, doesn't this just seem wrong? Shouldn't maven 2.0.9 only use maven 2.0.9 jars?