Jason van Zyl wrote:

On 7-Jul-08, at 3:29 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

Maybe this won't strike you as strange but it did me. I ran a mvn install on a project using 2.0.9. In the course of that maven-project-2.0, maven-project-2.0.6, maven-2.0.7, and maven-project-2.0.9 were downloaded, installed into the local repo and then used in the build. As you would expect this is due to the use of the various plugins used during the build. Knowing what I know about maven I understand why this us. But the question remains, doesn't this just seem wrong? Shouldn't maven 2.0.9 only use maven 2.0.9 jars?

Yes, it's wrong. It's become the metadata is not processed first and then the artifacts selected. It's done incrementally along the way which is wrong and inefficient. This is the whole crux of what Oleg is working on with the new artifact resolution code. Metadata analysis first, artifact retrieval second. What you are seeing will not happen with the code.

How does Oleg's code fix this? The problem doesn't have to do with how metadata is processed and then artifacts selected. The problem is that nowhere are the plugins told that maven 2.0.9 jars should be used instead of whatever they specified. Instead, it appears there is some "special" code that checks for maven jars and as a last step ignores artifacts that are already part of the distribution. In other words, the metadata to correctly resolve this isn't even present.

Ralph