David Karlsen managed to find what I'm going to call a "difference" in Wagon SSH :)

Affected: users that have a plaintext password for ssh in settings.xml with keyboard-interactive and plaintext password authentication enabled on the server and no private key being used.

Explanation:
In beta-2, the keyboard-interactive method used the TraditionalKeyboardInteractive class in Wagon which had a hack in it that if it was asking for a password, would pass back the one from the settings. More than a year ago the default handler was switched to one that prompts (which could conceivably hide passwords with jline) [1].

As a consequence, keyboard-interactive now prompts for a password, even if the password is in the settings. I think this is technically the correct behaviour for Wagon - if the server doesn't allow plaintext passwords, but does allow keyboard interactive, I don't think we should be passing in the password from settings.xml.

The improved fix I put in place is to tell the server you'd prefer to auth by plaintext password first, if it is given [2]. If the server rejects that, then you get keyboard-interactive.

Even though the new behaviour is correct in some regards, it is not intuitive for Maven users. The user workarounds are: * add a build extension for wagon 1.0-beta-2 / 1.0-beta-5-SNAPSHOT (obviously preferable)
* set AllowChallengeResponse no on the ssh server
* don't use plaintext passwords

Instead of needing a Wagon release, I was able to put a straightforward (but temporary, to be removed after a later wagon upgrade) fix in to Maven [3].

Cheers,
Brett

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/wagon/trunk/wagon-providers/wagon-ssh/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/wagon/providers/ssh/jsch/AbstractJschWagon.java?view=diff&r1=515352&r2=515353