> Is there any reason that the 2.1 branch cannot require java
> 1.5 to compile and execute?

I am not a developer on Maven, so my vote would not count anyway. I am
an independent IT consultant and want to offer some background
information why this would be a "bad" decision.

During my work for the last 3 customers (past 1,5 year), only one of
them had support for both Java 1.4 and 1.5. The other two were still
locked on Java 1.4. In one of these companies, the developers even had
to "fight" to get Java 1.5 installed on their developer machines to have
a more decent Java VM to run Eclipse more fluently. Their official build
system however is only running on Java 1.4. This was mainly due to the
fact that they were still running on Weblogic 8.0 which is not supported
on Java 1.5. So even with the option of the compiler target flag, some
companies refuse to accept this and they really want to have Maven
running on Java 1.4, and compiling with exactly the same JDK that their
production environment is using.

In short: you would be surprised how much companies are still on Java
1.4! Please give this some more thought!

Tnx,

Ringo

Dit e-mail bericht inclusief eventuele ingesloten bestanden kan informatie
bevatten die vertrouwelijk is en/of beschermd door intellectuele
eigendomsrechten. Dit bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
Elk gebruik van de informatie vervat in dit bericht (waaronder de volledige of
gedeeltelijke reproductie of verspreiding onder elke vorm) door andere personen
dan de geadresseerde(n) is verboden. Indien u dit bericht per vergissing heeft
ontvangen, gelieve de afzender hiervan te verwittigen en dit bericht te
verwijderen.

This e-mail and any attachment thereto may contain information which is
confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended
for the sole use of the addressees. Any use of the information contained herein
(including but not limited to total or partial reproduction or distribution in
any form) by other persons than the addressees is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete its contents.

Ce courriel et les annexes éventuelles peuvent contenir des informations
confidentielles et/ou protégées par des droits de propriété intellectuelle. Ce
message est adressé exclusivement à son (ses) destinataire(s). Toute
utilisation du contenu de ce message (y compris la reproduction ou diffusion
partielle ou complète sous toute forme) par une autre personne que le(s)
destinataire(s) est formellement interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce message par
erreur, veuillez prévenir l'expéditeur du message et en détruire le contenu.