I'm not sure I understand. If I was to implement this I would imagine that the deployer would want to call resourceExists() to find out whether to deploy or not. The fact that resourceExists() can check the metadata vs the actual file would seem to me to be an implementation choice for the author of the resourceExists method, not the author of the deployer code.

Next, I admit, I haven't looked much at the Wagon classes. But I glanced at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/wagon/trunk/wagon-provider-api/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/wagon/Wagon.java. I don't see anything in the javadoc indicating the method is optional. A search for wagon site:maven.apache.org didn't yield anything either. In fact, it is hard to imagine how it could be since it returns a boolean and the only documented Exceptions are TransferFailedException and AuthorizationException. I would expect to see UnsupportedOperationException at least mentioned if it was optional.

So please tell me where this method is described as optional.

Finally, Yes, I use Nexus and I would also want it to be able to enforce this, but it should really be built into Maven. I'm a little unclear why you are saying Maven should update the metadata for an already deployed artifact.

Ralph

Oleg Gusakov wrote:
But this information comes from repository metadata, not from probing the actual file. If it does - repository integrity is broken, isn't it?

Deploy should read the metadata anyway as it is supposed to update [in a dumb http/dav repository, Nexus can do it for us], so if version is not in metadata, or metadata read failed it's equivalent to resource does not exist, but now you have much more information to act upon.

Ralph Goers wrote:
Yes. I would actually like the deploy plugin to NOT deploy a non-SNAPSHOT artifact if it is already there.

Oleg Gusakov wrote:
I cannot imagine a use case where you would check that artifact exists in the remote repository and then don't download it. Can you?