Not all artifacts can be discovered via metadata so it's not safe to assume you can always check there.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 29, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Oleg Gusakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I implemented this method to pass ITs, it's existence is off the table.

Brian Fox wrote:
Oleg you are mixing the use of this method with the method being inefficient. Executing head is not ineficient
Agree
so there's no reason to exclude it in the new wagon.
Don't agree - as there still is no a valid use case of HEAD, not followed by GET.

The deploy plugin checking for a released artifact present in a remote repo, does not stand, in my opinion, as HEAD A-V.jar should instead be GET a maven-metadata.xml and check for V there. It's more efficient because:

  * if V is not in metadata, deploy plugin will have to read metadata
    anyway
  * if V is already in metadata, we did not loose too much.

If in 50% cases artifact is not present - we save a lot of network rountrips (GET that will follow that HEAD). Even if it's ot present in, say 20% cases - we by far compensated for the difference between HEAD and GET metadata.xml. Additional consideration: metadata.xml is relatively small, and will fit in the same ip packet as response for HEAD thus producing no difference at all.

On average - not having HEAD improves efficiency of repository lookup.

Thanks,
Oleg
Taking it away simply because someone could be dumb doesn't sense, especially since we already have on valid use case for it.

Sent from my iPhone