2009/2/10 Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>:
> On 10-Feb-09, at 8:37 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
>
>> Which is why I think that the rules need to be defined at the
>> repository, and per groupId
>>

> That's just a nightmare. What's wrong with just settling on something that
> works for everyone. I really and truly can't honestly see how the OSGi
> versioning scheme can't work for folks.
>
> Every organization and their uncle will come with some reason why their
> BigCo must have 5 digits and 2 qualifiers. It's just fodder for disaster.

Because 5 digits can actually be a good thing....

Yes, I would love to have something other than

[Major].[Minor].[Service pack].[patch].[build]

But given that we've had several builds of patches to a specific
service pack, it's a nightmare to get that information into 4
digits.... and yes, I know windows uses only 4 digits... but come on.
If Maven is going to force 4 digits down our necks that's a bad thing.

Personally, mercury's infinite number of versions is nice.... I think
it should work for everyone, but I am not so arrogant as to assume
that it will.

> The interoperability issues like when someone takes an existing project in
> open source and renames it to their scheme, then you have two repositories
> that have the similar artifacts with different versioning schemes and I just
> don't think it's worth it. Then people start having to make bridges between
> these different systems.

If it's defined at the repository level per groupId, you just leave
that up to the repository manager... if you have a private repo with
differing rules, fine, if you use those rules in somebody else's
groupId, your build will be f*cked, and it's your problem.

> Why don't we just use a scheme that has been around for years and seems to
> be accommodating and working for organizations like Eclipse? They have spend
> a lot of time thinking about and do we really want to get into a debate
> about why 4 digits are better then 3, or why we should sort qualifiers this
> way or that?
>
> My opinion is that we gravitate toward the OSGi version scheme and be done
> with it. We could make the scheme pluggable but I would basically say if you
> want to deviate you can support the additional tooling required to deal with
> it.

As long as the version comparison works for those people who must use
more than 4 digits, I'm fine if Maven moves to 4 digits in general.
But *stop* assuming that, just because 4 digits is your latest flavour
of the month, 4 digits is best