While I'd be ok with updating the base requirement, starting to make a lot of changes to generify things should probably be kept to 2.2.x (I've seen bugs introduced in other projects in the process due to casting, interface breakage, etc). I agree with John's tweeted intent to keep 2.1.1 to a small set of changes and roll it out quickly :)

This seems as good a time as any to create the 2.2.x branch with those java5 changes?

Cheers,
Brett