In the settings.xml it's not possible to activate a profile by project. Then
again: I believe settings.xml are actually maven-settings and not
project-settings. For most users it's a big step to dive into the
settings.xml. For them there are only a few reasons to access the settings
file:
- to setup a proxy repository like nexus (which is often done by a more
experienced user)
- to set username+pw for a specific server.
If they don't have to touch the file then leave it, 'cause changes here
might break maven.
And a user-specific project-profile has to be located on a very logic and
easy to access location, so the best option is next to the pom I guess.

-regards,

Robert Scholte