I agree with Robert here.
removal of profiles.xml file leaves maven with no non-sharable, per-project
configuration option. I"ve added my example to
 the issue http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4060.
It would be doable with settings.xml but it would be uber-cumbersome to do
so. It could partly work, but only when you work on one set of projects
only, or keep on  switching the settings file and have a separate copy for
each project (or set of projects).

Milos