In the very specific case of groupId/artifactId/version pattern which is
currently very verbose I would tend to agree to allow shorter syntax using
attributes instead of elements.

<dependency groupId="" artifactId="" version="" classifier="" scope=""/>

<plugin groupId="" artifactId="" version="">
    <configuration>
    </configuration>
</plugin>

This is not what I consider a "big" change for endusers.

Still my 2 cents.

Regards,

Julien