On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Jorg Heymans <jorg.heym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu> wrote:
>> Something like duplicate dependencies likely means you have a real
>> problem you didn't know about in your poms. I think failing is
>> appropriate in this case.
>
> I fail to grok what you just said there. So if i have in my pom
>
>    <dependency>
>      <groupId>javax.persistence</groupId>
>      <artifactId>persistence-api</artifactId>
>      <version>1.0</version>
>    </dependency>
>
> and then 25 other dependencies and then again the one above (due to a
> copy-paste oversight let's say) then I have a real problem in my build
> you say. How is it different from unused and declared dependencies, or
> used and undeclared ?

Yes that is a problem because if you later go to upgrade to 1.2,
you're most likely going to find the first instance and change it, but
you're still going to get 1.0 because last time I checked, it was last
wins. This is a hidden cancer in your pom that will bite you later.

How is it different than undeclared dependencies? It's slightly worse
because you have a false sense of security by having it specified.