On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Benjamin Bentmann
<benjamin.bentm...@udo.edu> wrote:
> Jorg Heymans wrote:
>
>> [ERROR]   The project build-tools:1-SNAPSHOT
>> (D:\src\myproject\pom.xml) has 1 error
>> [ERROR]
>> 'dependencyManagement.dependencies.dependency.(groupId:artifactId:type:classifier)'
>> must be unique: junit:junit:jar -> duplicate declaration of version
>> 3.8.2
>>
>> Shall i log an issue for this or is this a known feature ?
>
> The error itself is by design and is part of overall stricter POM
> validation. If the cause isn't present in the current POM, it must be
> present in one of its parents. "mvn ... -e" should tell more but I will look
> into improving the message for the next release.

I can understand the need for stricter pom validation, but is it
really necessary to fail a build completely just because a dependency
is declared twice ? It seems a bit harsh. A big [WARNING] seems more
appropriate. Will m3 also fail builds for this one then: [WARNING]
Using platform encoding (Cp1252 actually) to copy filtered resources,
i.e. build is platform dependent!

IMO most knowledgeable people react on warnings more positive, so more
like "ah cool m3 spotted a potential hazard so lets go and fix this"
instead of "why the heck is m3 not able to build my project, lets
revert to m2". Debatable, but that's how i see it.

Cheers,
Jorg