On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Kristian Rosenvold <
kristian.rosenv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> lø., 02.07.2011 kl. 12.22 -0700, skrev Ralph Goers:
> > On Jul 2, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:
> > >>

> > > Ralph,
> > > No, you are not discouraging me in anyway. This stage is just the first
> step
> > > of a much wider task. The ultimate goal of this work is to provide the
> > > ability to package maven-based builds to Gentoo system. Gentoo
> encourages
> > > and the package-management installs packages by first compiling them
> from
> > > source. So, as you can understand, if the package source uses maven as
> the
> > > build management tool, it needs maven to do the building and generate
> the
> > > jar.
> > >
> > > Further, there are other constraints involved. Mainly the packages
> should be
> > > able to use the existing jars available in the system (under
> /usr/share),
> > > and we've are not strict about having a specific version as a dep as
> long
> > > the existing system jar is api-compatible.
> >

> I think what you're trying to do is tremendously gutsy, but I would
> expect no less from gentoo :)
>
> Would you basically be trying to build the whole stack more or less from
> trunk, or would you be going off the latest released versions ?

We are building the stack with Maven 2.2.1 tag. For the deps plexus and
wagon, we tried to go with the latest released version available where we
can.

> I can't directly help you with the problem you're facing, but it would
> sound like it might be coming in somewhere related to the site stuff,
> which is integrated in 2.2.1 core. This was totally removed from 3.x
> core, which is another reason why starting the whole lot with 3.x might
> be easier; it has a simpler dependency profile. But I'm not going to
> re-iterate that.

Yes, 3.0.3 looks cleaner. Well, I answered the points for choosing 2.2.1. We
surely need to support 3.0.3 too, the future of maven.
Is it possible Doxia plays a part here too? We haven't really bothered about
these site stuff, and therefore, doxia version we have is a little older.

--Kasun