Hi,

here's a use case/convention which neither the current "append child's artifactId" strategy nor the "static:" prefix can handle.

The parent project uses something like

  /scm-root/

and the modules/children use

 /scm-root/modules/${project.artifactId}

IMHO, the only fully flexible solution is to have an *absolute* URI which is used for the current project and an extra attribute which specifies the *relative* URI to be appended by child projects.

This extra attribute would simply default to "./${project.artifactId}", thereby making the "append child's artifactId" strategy explicit. The "static" use case could then be handled by a value of "../${project.artifactId}".

Of course, this relies on SCM providers properly handling path components like "." and "..". Also, when property expansion happens needs to be hashed out. (I think, the parent's relative path attribute should be expanded in the child's context.)

But while the above convention is maybe not a common case in SCM URIs, the relations between parent and child *site* URIs (which currently also use the "append child's artifactId" strategy) are more diverse, which I think warrants thinking about a flexible solution.

Just my $0.02.

Andreas