Hi,

Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> Olivier Lamy wrote:
>
>> @Jörg any open source projects you can share ?
>
> Sorry, no, but I am try some runs now on a dedicated build server ... a
> run takes some time though

It took a while, because I was hit by a real M3 regression first: MNG-5207
However, after building anything once with M2, I was able to run M3 (even if
it did not calculate the proper build order, but the local repo was
stuffed).

>> What kind of builds are you doing ? install deploy ?
>
> mvn clean install
>
>> with an empty
>> repo or an already populated one ?
>
> populated
>
>> is there any reporting done (site
>> plugin use)
>
> no

The dedicated build server is of arch amd64 and as it turned out, the
PermGen space consumption on that arch is even worse. Even with 256m PermGen
space the build stops with an "OOME: PermGen space" after 45 of 417
projects. However, M303 and M304 behave *exactly* the same (multiple runs
for each). Even for M221 the build stops now after 55 projects (but
different build order compared to M30x).

So the good news: No regression with M304. The bad news: Something consumes
PermGen space meanwhile really fast. It might be as well one of the plugins
that have been updated in the last 3 of 4 months :-/

>> ? etc...
>> Any stack trace you could provide ?
>>
>> Perso, I have tested this build with asf projects with huge build (cxf
>> and camel).
>> Note my MAVEN_OPTS is export MAVEN_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true
>> -Xmx768m -Xms768m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -client"
>
> Mine are "-Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=144m". PermSize was chosen to allow such
> a build to succeed.
>
>> Could you add -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError in your MAVEN_OPTS ?
>> (-XX:HeapDumpPath= to control the path where it's generated-
>> Maybe this can help us to see what's the issue.
>
> OK, I try to repeat the situation first on the build server above.

These are next actions ...

[snip]

- Jörg