On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Jos Backus <j...@catnook.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Any reason why not, especially when it's easy to do so? It lowers the
>>> bar for users to deploy Maven.
>>
>> You're assuming it's easy to do but as an overall supported aspect of the
>> project nothing is easy. Maybe easy for you, but not for us :-) Generating
>> an RPM is one thing, supporting it and have it undergo the construction that
>> RPM proponents might require like building it offline and running it under
>> our normal gamut of tests is probably not easy. You're making an assumption
>> that it lowers the bar, but I would argue that's for a much smaller segment
>> of the user base then you might think -- I believe Windows users still make
>> up the largest segment. So as I've argued in the past the value to the
>> project overall versus the work to actually support creating an RPM is up
>> for discussion. I don't believe it's worth the effort.
>
> Well, if installing Maven is really as easy as just unpacking a
> tarball, creating an RPM should not be hard.

The java dependency is an issue.  And then ... every RPM of a Java
package I've ever seen has felt the need to take the self-contained
hierarchy of the normal distro and move things to other places. Config
to /etc, logs to /var/log, &cetra. So, right, one of us could probably
come up with a trivial RPM, which would be trivially rejected by all
of the distro packages.

I could also mention the question of equal rights for debian users,
and don't even get me started on Gentoo.