On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Jason Chaffee
<jason.chaf...@betfair.com> wrote:
> Just a suggestion.
>
> If you can find some people who are not currently commuters and are
> interested in do thing just this very thing, could they be a partial
> committer, only working on the RPM's and not the other parts of maven?
>
> In my opinion, this is the spirit of open source software.  I know
> everywhere I have been my IT/OPS wanted RPM's for maven.
>
> Jason

It's actually simpler than this. If someone posts a reasonable patch
-- where reasonable means (in my opinion), "could be part of the
automated Jenkins builds, doesn't inordinately inconvenience people
building the core on Windows", then some committer might commit it.
*I* might commit it.

If one of my fellow PMC members found it bottomlessly horrible, they
could exercise their post-commit review powers and tell me to yank it
until we had a formal vote.

Once it was in place, then the next question would be, "Would any
release manager take responsibility for including the results in a
vote?"

Now, keep in mind that Apache releases are SOURCE releases. The
binaries are for convenience only. Still, I agree with Stephen C. that
it would be bad form to put RPMs on /dist that hadn't been supervised
by the PMC.

The final question, then, as Stephen has pointed out, would be, "would
a sufficiency of PMC members vote +1 and not -1 for a release with
them." So far, no PMC member has expressed any enthusiasm for that
step.