I actually think the merge feature is a step backwards and I am toying with
being -1 on the commit.

for proxies I think mrm-maven-plugin @ mojo is the way to go.

invoker is a different use case from release, so passing through the
settings is, in general, a bad thing. If you make the merge an opt-in then
that is OK, but personally I cannot see any good use case for it now that
we have mrm-maven-plugin to solve the proxy issue