> If no settings specified, the maven invocation will use the default
> one (~/.m2/settings.xml)

Actually it will use the settings of the calling process, which could
be something different than the default file-based one.

Due to corporate infrastructure reasons I couldn't test one of my
actual use case project, but based on a similar laptop setup I verify
that the inheriting feature works as I want it to work. But I guess
the IT in the plugin shows that as well.