A number of people have contacted me off-list about this.

I really didn't want to call anyone out on this topic. This is a mixed
bag. Citing specific threads would make it concrete what I'm point at,
but it would call people out. I'll respond to the off-list threads.
I'll go this far; we've had (I think) two pretty help-vampirish people
turn up recently with an awe-inspiring lack of the necessary minimal
background in using Windows and Java to have any business trying to
use Maven.

Another aspect of the situation is that a few people are carrying a
disproportionate amount of the load of dealing with the user list, and
if some of the rest of us would step up more, that would be better.