just take as example that you like to checkout all maven core plugins in one go
because you like to do some refactoring/checks/upgrade.
That would require you to go into each plugin project and get the stuff from
there. And where would you put the aggregator pom for CI and development builds?

Same applies to all other projects which are kind of 'aggregator' like
maven-core, shared, etc

LieGrue,
strub