Our experience in geronimo has always been that maven does not support this,
and I thought for maven 3 it was announced that it never ever would.

We have a proflie to build up through the plugin, then you can do the full
build.

Releasing is a pain as you have to do the manual profile build with the
release-version code to get the plugin available in the local maven repo before
running the actual release.

If I'm wrong for any version of maven I'd love to know how :-)

thanks
david jencks