My position was to propose the low cost possible solution to have a quick
fix and not to wait for months.
If it could be fixed/configurable in aether it may be the solution to
follow but I'm not sure about the status of this 3rd party project (eclipse
migration ...) on which we don't have the hand.
Seriously I helped and lost MANY hours with this problem because it is hard
to diagnose.
I'm sure that many people abandoned to try to understand and just dropped
their local repo or decided to downgraded to m2 (or to switch to another
tool).
I think we can have a lot of similar feedbacks.
The worst thing is to have another thing that users don't understand (lake
of documentation ? communication ?)
The side effect is that changing a repository id (or mirror id) makes maven
to re-download all the earth (while we are claiming from the beginning that
Maven won't never download twice a release).
And when the remote artifact just disappeared it is just a nightmare due to
the lake of correct logs and this case is easy to have.
For example in my company I have a profile to let people DL artifacts from
staging repositories (thus these are releases). It happened that they
activated it once to test a build and then they rebuild the project without
the profile (thinking the artifact is in the local repo) and it fails ...

Sincerely I think I had my worst headaches with maven due to this bug

--
-----