+1

On 7/23/13 8:59 AM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
This vote is to cover the minimum required version of Java for Maven Core.

Maven Plugins produced by the Apache Maven Project that are flagged as
compatible with older versions of Maven Core as their baseline will still
require to stick to the minimum Java requirements of that Maven Core
version. In other words, if for example maven-compiler-plugin advertises
compatibility with Maven Core 2.0.11+ then that will still need to be
compiled targeting Java 1.4 and only using dependencies that are aligned
with that runtime requirement.

Additionally patch releases to existing releases of Maven Core will not be
subject to this requirement.

For example [example]*if* this vote passes and *if* on Sep 29th we release
Maven 3.2.0 and *if* on Oct 2nd we release Maven 2.0.12, Maven 2.2.2, Maven
3.0.6, Maven 3.1.1, Maven 3.2.1 and Maven 3.3.0 (due to say some security
issue that affected all versions of Maven) then only Maven 3.3.0 would be
require Java 6 as a minimum runtime requirement, the 2.0.12 release would
still require Java 1.4 and the 2.2.2, 3.0.6, 3.1.1 and 3.2.1 versions would
all still require Java 1.5.[/example]

This is not a requirement that 3rd party plugins need use Java 6 as a
minimum. Third party plugins are free to require any Java version >= the
corresponding Maven minimum requirement, though obviously from a users
perspective it is best if plugins try to adhere to our contracts for
corresponding versions of Maven Core.

Justification for the cut-off date:

* Oracle has gone end of life on Java 6 Feb 2013 (note that there is still
extended and sustaining support for existing Oracle customers using Java 5)
* IBM will go end of life for z/OS on 30th Sep 2013 (other platforms are
still with support, but there are other Java vendors for other platforms)
* Apple no longer supports any hardware that does not have at least an
Apple Java 6 version available.
* Red Hat is providing support for OpenJDK 6
* HP-UX, OpenVMS, and Tru64 all have a Java 6 implementation available.

As I see it, that essentially ensures that for the vast majority of
platforms there is a very strong likelihood of a Java 6 compatible version
of Java available for that platform. Toolchains support or forking of the
compiler and surefire can provide support for users who still need to build
with older versions of Java (e.g., as was the case for Java 1.4.2 with
Maven 2.2.1). Additionally users who are forced to use a java version older
than Java 6 also are likely unable to upgrade their version of Maven, so
this change will not affect them

This vote is open for 72 hours. A minimum of three +1 binding votes (i.e.
from the PMC) and the majority of votes cast from committers will be
required to pass this vote.

+1000: Yes, and when can we have the vote to go for Java 7 as a minimum?
(This option is equivalent to +1 but provides people the ability to
indicate an additional preference while not contributing to the inevitible
noise)
+1: Yes
0: No opinion
-1: No